Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Tarrah's Crazy Baby Clothes Quilt

First I had to cut up a LOAD of baby clothes.


Once all the fabric was cut up, I had to sort the pieces into piles by large, medium, small and teeny-tiny.

Here's the first square pieced together, and...

Here it is finished.

Close up.

And here's the second square pieced.

Second square done

Second square detail.

More second square detail.

Here are four squares in a row, two by two:


As you can see, they're very wonky as I hadn't started cutting them down yet.


Here are eight squares laid out on the bed, four at a time:




Last piece pinned to the last square


Last square detail


Squares sewn completely together.

Here's where the pictures start getting good - I finally got my digital camera to work so we're no longer relying on the BlackBerry.


Here it is on the couch, completely done except for the binding, which really gave me a hard time:


I totally forgot to make the back bigger than the front so that I could just roll it over like with the necktie quilt and Nathan's quilt. Instead, I cut up another receiving blanket and made the binding out of that. This is a very common way to do binding but I'd never done it before. Luckily, I could sort of see in my head what it was supposed to look like, and I had a good ruler, so I just went for it. You can see the finished binding on the right edge:


Here's the back, which I did out of receiving blankets (and there's the binding on the left)


Instead of traditional quilting in the ditch, I sewed the corners to the batting inside and then added buttons to hide the knots and add a bit of detail:

Here's the full back:

Full front:


Completely done:
Quilts By Kate

All quilts by kate are one-of-a-kind originals. A quilt like this would be priced at $500.00.

Finished November 2008

No comments: